Olympus Introduces New CleverCut3V Sphincterotome, Delivering Cannulation Efficiency with Effortless Device Exchange
CleverCut3V Distal Wireguided (CleverCut3V DW) Sphincterotome Offers Better Visualization and Precision Placement for More Efficient, Safer Cutting
CENTER VALLEY, Pa., (September 10, 2015) – Olympus, a global technology leader in designing and delivering innovative solutions for medical and surgical procedures, among other core businesses, introduced today the 510(k) cleared CleverCut3V Distal Wireguided sphincterotome (CleverCut3V DW). Available preloaded with VisiGlide or sold separately, CleverCut3V DW promotes safety and efficiency through advanced technology.
According to Truven Health, approximately 600,000 endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography procedures are performed every year . Sphincterotomes are used during the procedure to enlarge the opening of the biliary sphincter via an electrical cauterizing wire or knife, allowing the endoscopist access to pancreaticobiliary anatomy for the purposes of bile duct stone extraction, treatment of papillary stenosis, and to carry out other diagnostic and therapeutic applications such as ductal sampling and stent placement. In cases of difficult anatomy or limited visibility, tissue damage can occur if the wire cuts into duodenal folds. The CleverCut3V DW CleverCut coating insulates the proximal portion of the cutting wire, helping to prevent such tissue damage and associated complications such as perforation.
"CleverCut3V DW with VisiGlide is the only short-wire sphincterotome with the coating's presence over the proximal end of the cutting wire," said Dr. Vijay Jayaraman, Assistant Professor at University of Nevada, School of Medicine. "This has been particularly helpful in protecting the duodenum in case of overhanging folds. The smooth taper of the tip is atraumatic to the papilla and the guidewire strips away easily while still maintaining a good air seal to the c-channel, which is very important to my longer cases. Additionally, having the VisiGlide wire preloaded saves us time."
Benefits of the CleverCut3V DW for advanced endoscopists:
- Increased Efficiency – An advanced c-channel specially designed for the VisiGlide line of guidewires, as well as an intuitive guidewire insertion port, promote increased procedural efficiency for short-wire users.
- Enhanced Safety - Safety features such as the CleverCut coating on the proximal end of the cutting wire and optimal knife orientation help to protect surrounding tissue while providing effective sphincterotomy.
- Smooth Insertion - A refined 3.9 Fr tapered tip provides smooth insertion during difficult cannulations resulting from strictures or when accessing the minor papilla. (KD-VC431Q and KD-VC631Q series only)
- Integrated Access - The integrated VisiGlide line of guidewires provides the endoscopist with the right wire for all situations based upon preference, technique, and anatomical requirements. (KD-VC611Q and KD-VC631Q series only)
The single-use device is available in several configurations including with the VisiGlide guidewire preloaded or with VisiGlide sold separately.
“The shift in endoscopy from diagnosis-only to include increasingly more therapeutic measures is an exciting opportunity for endoscopists,” said Richard Reynolds, Executive Vice President - Sales, Marketing & Shared Services of the Medical Systems Group at Olympus Corporation of the Americas. “Advancements to therapeutic technologies such as the CleverCut3V DW help facilities meet their healthcare reform goals of cost reduction through more efficient procedures, which ultimately benefits patients.”
Designed with performance and patient safety in mind, Olympus’ suite of therapeutic devices help physicians deliver value to patients and help healthcare facilities meet the following key healthcare reform initiatives:
- Increased Quality of Care: Olympus’ therapeutic devices contribute to easier, more precise access to complicated anatomy, potentially reducing the risks of trauma and complications.
- Decreased Costs: Built-in procedural efficiencies, such as CleverCut3V DW’s preloaded VisiGlide, reduce preparation time, which can equate to potential savings from reduced time in the procedure room.
- Enhanced Patient Satisfaction: Olympus’ therapeutic devices enable access to difficult-to-reach anatomy to help physicians provide treatment to patients in need so they can have a better quality of life.
The CleverCut3V DW will be showcased at the Annual Conference of the American College of Gastroenterology (ACG) to be held on October 16-21 in Honolulu, Hawaii. Healthcare providers are invited to visit the Olympus Booth #830 for a product demonstration. For more information about the new CleverCut3V DW sphincterotome, please contact Olympus customer service at
1-800-848-9024 or visit the website.
About Olympus Medical Systems Group
Olympus Medical Systems Group, a division of global technology leader Olympus, develops solutions for healthcare professionals that help improve clinical outcomes, reduce overall costs and enhance quality of life for their patients. By enabling less invasive procedures, innovative diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopy, and early stage lung cancer evaluation and treatments, Olympus is transforming the future of healthcare.
For more information, visit Olympus at medical.olympusamerica.com.
i Data for use in this study were supplied by Truven Health Analytics Inc., Ann Arbor, Michigan (“Truven Health”). Any analysis, interpretation or conclusion based on these data is solely that of the authors and Truven Health disclaims responsibility for any such analysis, interpretation or conclusion. Copyright © 2014, Truven Health Analytics. All Rights Reserved.
ii Dr. Vijay Jayaraman is a contracted consultant for Olympus.