Olympus Adds EZ Shot 3 Plus to its GI Portfolio, A Single Use Aspiration Needle for Endoscopic Ultrasonically-Guided Fine Needle Aspiration
Flexibility, "shape memory," enhanced visibility and superior puncturability help improve access and potentially reduce cost
CENTER VALLEY, Pa., (May 17, 2016) - Olympus, a global technology leader in designing and delivering innovative solutions for medical and surgical procedures, among other core businesses, announced the introduction of its 510(k) cleared EZ Shot 3 Plus single use aspiration needle for endoscopic ultrasonically-guided fine needle aspiration (EUS-FNA). A new product in the company's gastrointestinal portfolio, the EZ Shot 3 Plus is designed to be used with an ultrasound endoscope for EUS-FNA of submucosal and extramural lesions within the gastrointestinal tracts (e.g., pancreatic masses, mediastinal masses, perirectal masses and lymph nodes).
EUS-FNA was first used in the early 1990s and has become increasingly widespread as an exploratory technique for taking tissue or cell samples from lesions for definitive pathology diagnosis. Uses for EUS-FNA include cases that require the needle to be inserted into difficult-to-access locations, such as in the pancreatic head, which only can be reached with a high degree of curvature in the tip of the endoscope. In such cases, the sheath inserted into the endoscope must be able to pass smoothly through the curved scope with minimal force. The design also focused on reducing the difficulty of subsequent steps, which include adjusting the angle of the needle, and agitating the needle to collect the tissue sample and predictably target the lesion location. These design improvements should address goals of yielding better tissue samples and reducing procedure times.
Benefits of the EZ Shot 3 Plus include:
- Better access during EUS-FNA: Flexibility of the EZShot 3 Plus provides uncompromised access to difficult-to-approach anatomy, even when the end of the scope is tightly curved. Better access can mean more accurate retrieval of tissue samples. The sheath's multi-layer construction minimizes friction with the needle, which allows the needle to travel freely and smoothly.
- Shape memory and enhanced puncturability for improved accuracy: The needle is made of Nitinol®, a material of great flexibility and "shape memory," (meaning that the needle remains straight after multiple passes). The sharply pointed Menghini tip design enables the needle to puncture the lesion, even from oblique angles.
- Cost savings: Reduce need to switch needles during procedure due to a bent needle or having to reduce needle size to access the target lesion.
According to the American Cancer Society, there are more than 125,000 newly diagnosed cases of gastrointestinal-related cancers each year in the United States. In addition, Truven Health estimates that the total number of EUS outpatient procedures will grow 15 percent from 2011 to 2016 to reach 235,000 procedures.
"Olympus has been an innovator in endoscopic ultrasound for years and we're particularly proud of this latest advancement," said Kurt Heine, Group Vice President of the Endoscopy Division at Olympus America Inc. "Better access to difficult parts of the anatomy, along with improvements in efficiency can bring us closer to meeting the Affordable Care Act healthcare reform goals of improving quality of care, reducing costs and enhancing patient satisfaction."
Designed with performance and patient safety in mind, Olympus' full suite of therapeutic devices help physicians deliver value to patients and help healthcare facilities meet the following key healthcare reform initiatives:
- Increased Quality of Care: Olympus' therapeutic platforms contribute to easier, more precise access to complicated anatomy, potentially reducing the risks of trauma and complications. The EZShot 3 Plus can contribute to fewer punctures of the anatomy because of its improved accuracy.
- Decreased Costs: The EZShot 3 Plus can reduce costly procedure time, through the benefits of flexibility and improved access that allow for a possible reduction in the number of needles used per procedure.
- Enhanced Patient Satisfaction: Reduced procedure time and reduced complications are benefits that can lead to increased patient satisfaction.
The EZShot 3 Plus will be demonstrated at the Digestive Disease Week (DDW) annual meeting to be held May 21-24 in San Diego, Calif. Healthcare providers are invited to visit the Olympus Booth #1227 for a hands-on product demonstration. For more information about the EZShot 3 Plus Single Use Aspiration needle, please contact Olympus customer service at 1-800-848-9024 or visit the product website.
# # #
About Olympus Medical Systems Group
Olympus Medical Systems Group, a division of global technology leader Olympus, develops solutions for healthcare professionals that help improve clinical outcomes, reduce overall costs and enhance quality of life for their patients. By enabling less invasive procedures, innovative diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopy, and early stage lung cancer evaluation and treatments, Olympus is transforming the future of healthcare.
For more information visit Olympus at medical.olympusamerica.com.
Michael Levey, Olympus, 484-896-5120, email@example.com