Two Olympus Innovations Named Finalists for American Technology Award
TechAmerica Foundation “Best Of” Award Recognizes ENDOEYE FLEX 3D and
THUNDERBEAT in Health and Medical Technologies Category
CENTER VALLEY, Pa., April 17, 2014 – Olympus, a global technology leader in delivering innovative diagnostic and therapeutic solutions in Medical and Surgical procedures, among other core businesses, announced today that two of its surgical products have been named finalists for an American Technology Award (ATA) in the Health and Medical Technologies category: ENDOEYE FLEX 3D and THUNDERBEAT.
The ATA awards, presented by the TechAmerica Foundation, represent outstanding achievement and are the only “Best of” national award in the technology industry. The two Olympus surgical products will be recognized in Washington, D.C. on May 20, 2014 at 1776, D.C.’s premier tech startup, when the ATA winners will be selected.
Both of the Olympus products represent world’s only innovations in the surgical market:
- ENDOEYE FLEX 3D is the world’s only articulating HD 3D laparoscopic surgical imaging system, which improves the speed, accuracy and precision of surgical procedures based on testing using a simulated surgical model. This is accomplished by restoring a surgeon’s natural 3D vision and depth perception during laparoscopic procedures. The technology is available as a module that can be easily added to an existing Olympus EVIS EXERA III universal imaging system.
- THUNDERBEAT is the world’s only platform that combines advanced bipolar and ultrasonic energies into a single multifunctional instrument. This allows surgeons to simultaneously seal and cut vessels, minimizing instrument exchanges and reducing procedure time. Additionally, it boasts the fastest cutting speed and provides the highest grasping force at the tip when compared to other leading energy instruments.
“Each year the quality of the nominations we get for the American Technology Awards improves. The amazing innovations and advancement in technology that each of the finalists represent is a true testament to the quality of our industry in this country,” said Shawn Osborne, Chairman of the TechAmerica Foundation. “We congratulate Olympus on being a finalist for this prestigious award.”
“It’s exciting that our hard work to serve the needs of surgeons and their patients can also translate into technology industry recognition of our innovations,” said Luke Calcraft, President of the Medical Systems Group at Olympus Corporation of the Americas. “Both ENDOEYE FLEX 3D and THUNDERBEAT will help hospitals and healthcare providers deliver world-class care to their patients through early, minimally invasive diagnosis and treatment of diseases and other conditions.”
Olympus is a pioneer of minimally invasive surgery (laparoscopy), a modern technique in which an operation in the abdomen is performed through small incisions as compared to larger incisions needed in traditional surgical procedures. This surgical approach addresses the key requirements of Healthcare Reform:
- Increased Quality of Care – Minimally invasive surgery provides better clinical outcomes than traditional “open” surgery.
- Decreased Costs – Numerous industry and clinical studies have demonstrated that minimally invasive surgery provides significant cost savings when compared to a robotic surgical approach.*
- Enhanced Patient Satisfaction – Minimally invasive surgery provides less scarring, shorter hospital stays and faster recovery than traditional “open” surgery.
More information about THUNDERBEAT, ENDOEYE FLEX 3D and other Olympus medical and surgical products is available at www.medical.olympusamerica.com.
*Data on file.
About Olympus Medical Systems Group
Olympus Medical Systems Group, a division of global technology leader Olympus, develops solutions for healthcare professionals that help improve clinical outcomes, reduce overall costs and enhance quality of life for their patients. By enabling less invasive procedures, innovative diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopy, and early stage lung cancer evaluation and treatments, Olympus is transforming the future of healthcare.
For more information visit Olympus at www.medical.olympusamerica.com.
About TechAmerica Foundation
TechAmerica Foundation educates industry executives, policy makers and opinion leaders on the promise of technological innovation to advance prosperity, security and the general welfare. Launched in 1981, the Foundation is a 501(c) (3) non-profit, non-partisan affiliate of TechAmerica, which is the leading voice and resource for the U.S. technology industry. The Foundation disseminates award-winning industry, policy and market research covering topics such as U.S. competitiveness in a global economy, innovation in government, and other areas of national interest. It also organizes conferences and seminars to explore pertinent issues with government and industry representatives and to share the Foundation’s findings. Learn more about TechAmerica Foundation at www.techamericafoundation.org.
Michael Levey, Olympus, 484-896-5120, firstname.lastname@example.org
Stephanie Craig, TechAmerica Foundation, 202-682-4443, Stephanie.email@example.com