Soft Palate Handpiece
Soft Palate Handpiece
The Olympus Somnoplasty palate handpiece uses temperature-controlled radio-frequency (TCRF) technology to create predictable lesions in the soft palate.
- This procedure is performed to control snoring.
- Electrode should be placed equidistant A/P in the soft palate. Gently tug forward to allow the electrode to center and release forward pressure.
- Avoid placing electrode too laterally or too inferiorly where tissue is thinner since this increases the risk of mucosal injury and tissue slough.
Best candidates for successful outcomes meet the following criteria:
- Patients with no or minimal sleep apnea
- Objective clinical criteria:
- Body mass index <30
- RDI (AI+HI) <15, determined by sleep study without significant oxygen desaturization
- Patient without severe nasal airway obstruction or other significant anatomic airway obstruction
- Suboptimal results may occur if an individual has any of the following:
- Large or elongated uvula
- Posterior pillar webbing
- Large tongue
- Hypertrophic tonsils
- Generally, the more anatomically normal the soft palate, the better the result.
Control Unit Settings
Joules: Varies between 350 – 750 depending on area treated and palate thickness
Olympus Service & Repair
Olympus offers a broad range of services to healthcare professionals and to our customers, including contact hour and peer-based training courses; information, training tools and videos on infection control and reprocessing; authorized repair services and support on Olympus equipment; and financing solutions to help your facility with acquisition of new capital equipment, accessories, and maintenance plans.
Cleaning, Disinfection & Sterilization
The proper cleaning, disinfection, and sterilization of Olympus equipment is equally as important as their proper use.
|View Products||Information||Instructional Videos||Customer Portal|
|OER-Pro||Infection Prevention||Bronchoscope Reprocessing||Log-in|
|All Products||Alerts & Statements||GI Endoscope Reprocessing||Register|
Olympus Training & Proper Use
Olympus offers a variety of educational opportunities for medical and surgical healthcare professionals.
Our Professional Education Program provides multiple types of peer-to-peer training in order to meet the specific educational needs of physicians and nurses focused on the safe and effective use of Olympus products.
Olympus Professional Education also offers training programs through Olympus University (OU). Geared toward nurses, reprocessing technicians and biomeds, many of the OU courses are available for nursing contact hour continuing education credit.
Visit Olympus University