Dedicated to Serving Healthcare ServicesThe novel coronavirus is a serious situation for the consideration of all, but particularly for those in the healthcare community. During this global crisis, we commit to continuing our focus by ensuring every effort is made to operate with minimal interruptions of key products and services while providing timely and appropriate guidance to our customers, employees and stakeholders.
For more than 100 years, Olympus has focused on making people’s lives healthier, safer and more fulfilling by helping detect, prevent and treat disease, furthering scientific research and ensuring public safety. In the face of COVID-19, we are proud of, and grateful to, the customers we serve. We honor their efforts to safeguard the health of the public worldwide and strive to help in any way possible.
From our family to yours, Thank You!
The health and safety of our employees, our customers and the patients they treat and our global communities are extremely important to us. We are doing everything we can to maintain supplies while also being vigilant about the risk. Although delays may occur, we do not foresee any significant impact to business continuity.
We will continue working closely with infection prevention societies and regulatory agencies addressing this important human health concern.
COVID-19 WebinarsInformational webinars to provide guidance and answer questions about COVID-19.
Olympus Medical Resources
Hospitals need to limit exposure, but they do not need to limit expertise. Olympus can support hospitals with MedPresence, a telecollaboration platform bringing any medical device vendor into procedure spaces virtually to provide training on safe and effective use, technical support, critical insights on implant sizing, device placement, and best practices.
Olympus has a highly-trained team that is available to address any technical issues you may have
Access to technical assistance and resources
A variety of educational opportunities for medical and surgical healthcare professionals
and Good Hygiene Signs
A FAQ document that addresses the most frequently asked questions regarding COVID-19 and details on resuming procedures.
Presenting the experience of NYU Langone & the Michigan Ear Institute on personal protective equipment (PPE) and the use of the ORBEYE exoscope in otology cases during the COVID-19 era.
COVID-19 has presented unprecedented challenges for healthcare facilities. Olympus can support hospitals with MedPresence, a telecollaboration platform allowing needed expertise to consult and support remotely to lower exposure rates and minimize the consumption of PPEwithout limiting important knowledge sharing amongst those in and outside of the facility.
While offices in China slowly start resuming regular operation, many offices in other Asian countries, Americas and in EMEA are working in shifts and/or from home where applicable. Manufacturing sites, field force and repair centers have taken precautionary measures but will continue operating regularly until further notice. To minimize employees’ potential exposure to this virus, Olympus globally made the decision to restrict all international business travel for the time being. This travel restriction will remain in place until further notice and restrictions are subject to change based on the evolving situation.
We recognize that government guidance around the world varies by location and in some instances is stricter than Olympus’ global guidance. In those cases, the local guidance takes precedence.
We are fully committed to keep all stakeholders up to date as needed and strictly follow guidance by national authorities, leading associations or the Financial Instruments Exchange in Japan.
Olympus is continually monitoring the global developments around the COVID-19 pandemic and has set up a global task force to ensure business continuity. The health and safety of our employees, our customers and the patients they treat, and our global communities are extremely important to us. We are doing everything we can do to maintain supplies while also being vigilant about the risk. We are paying special attention to partners in the healthcare industry, who are at the center of working to address this global crisis. Although we do not foresee any short-term impact at this time, we are continually assessing our situation and will promptly inform stakeholders about changes whenever appropriate.
Regarding infection prevention, research has shown that coronaviruses (amongst which is the COVID-19 virus) belong to the group of enveloped viruses. Precedents of the COVID-19 virus can be inactivated with standard disinfection processes.i,ii WEO, the World Endoscopy Organization, states that no additional approach is needed for endoscope cleaning and disinfection, since coronavirus including the COVID-19 virus is easy to inactivate using many common disinfectants.iii In the Olympus instructions for use (IFU), state-of-the-art processes and evidences are taken into account when describing how to reprocess an endoscope. After every patient use, the healthcare service provider needs to ensure that the endoscope and all endoscopic accessories are subject to comprehensive reprocessing in accordance with the IFU. All devices and accessories need to be properly stored until their next patient exam. Consequently, customers can continue to safely use their Olympus medical flexible endoscope, including bronchoscopes, when adhering to the instructions for use and utilizing reprocessing best practices of their respective markets.
- Nelson DB. Infection control during gastrointestinal endoscopy. Can J Gastroenterol. 2007;21(1):13–15. doi:10.1155/2007/169846
- Rabenau HF, Kampf G, Cinatl J, Doerr HW. Efficacy of various disinfectants against SARS coronavirus. J Hosp Infect. 2005;61(2):107-111. doi: 10.1016/j.jhin.2004.12.023
Receive COVID-19 updates from Olympus SIGN UP
Olympus Social Responsibility
Now more than ever, Olympus is committed to social responsibility. Since early April, we have been working diligently on establishing a structure to deliver meaningful support to areas most in need. Olympus provides support by way of financial contributions, healthcare-specific donations and employee support in the communities in which we live and work.
Olympus. True to our communities. True to our world. True to life.
Olympus has focused its financial contributions to support those on the frontlines battling COVID-19.
- Donations to the American Red Cross aim to ensure delivery of their mission in the wake of COVID-19 including financial assistance for those coming out of quarantine and feeding missions in select areas where schools have closed.
- Contributions to support Americares COVID-19 response, which is providing critically needed protective gear, training and emotional support for health workers on the front lines of the pandemic to ensure they can continue their lifesaving work.
Contributions to Healthcare
Due to the dynamic development of the COVID-19 pandemic, healthcare networks face a shortage of medical supplies, medical professionals and manufacturing and service personnel able to maintain medical devices. In this context, Olympus is prepared to handle external requests that support healthcare institutions.
- Olympus is offering free use of bronchoscopes from its pool of scopes set aside for lending in order to assist pulmonologists treating COVID-19 patients in critical care.
- Olympus is offering healthcare organizations use of its cloud-based, clinical collaboration platform MedPresence® at no charge for three months from the time of activation.
- As the current COVID-19 crisis restricts in-person educational programs, Olympus University is offering a variety of Instructor-Led Continuing Education Presentations online. Course topics include infection control and clinical topics across various specialties. In addition, online modules for continuing education credit are available for anytime learning.
- Olympus’ Life Science Group is offering free use of demo microscopes to allow pathologists the ability to review cases remotely.
- Olympus Surgical Technologies America is making use of 3D printers to create face shields that will be donated to healthcare institutions.
Olympus employees continue to support their local communities throughout this challenging time by volunteering and making personal donations, all while still closely following CDC protocols.
- Olympus volunteers continue to deliver Meals on Wheels of the Greater Lehigh Valley weekly to those in need. Drop off is now curbside and with one person at a time, complying as closely as possible with CDC protocol.
- Particularly during COVID-19, community organizations value the help of Olympus employee volunteers whose time is covered through a paid time off benefit. Employees have been using this time to make masks, host a teaching session online for local schools, or participate in other socially-distant activities that provide community support.
- Some Olympus employees at home are using their time and personal resources to help out those on the frontlines of COVID-19.
At Olympus, the health and wellbeing of our employees is our top priority. In view of the COVID-19 pandemic, many employees globally are currently working in shifts and/or from home. Additionally, Olympus has restricted all international business travel for the time being.
The Work-From-Home guidance for employees is currently in place and continues to be re-evaluated based on local and national safety recommendations. Remote Olympus colleagues are socializing, networking and collaborating through Microsoft Office 365 tools and other technologies. Town Halls, hosted virtually for the first time, have been highly attended online.
A new sense of community and culture has emerged at Olympus, delivering an evolving form of unity to very diverse teams and businesses that is centered around our Core Values of Empathy and Agility. People on the front lines still working on site, and people behind the scenes working remotely, have been demonstrating their dedication to Olympus while expressing their pride and commitment to the organization through their actions and via their posts and communications.
To all Olympus employees on-site and in the field, Thank You!